Nokia E6 with Symbian Anna OS Officially Launched: Specs, Release Date and Hands-on
The new Nokia E6 has finally been announced after months of rumours, bringing with it a touchscreen/QWERTY combination. Nokia E6 has been launched as the natural upgrade choice to the Nokia E72 adnd Nokia e71. Running Symbian Anna, you’ll find it packs a full QWERTY keyboard as well as a touchscreen display. Read on to find out more about the Nokia E6 Symbian^3 QWERTY smartphone.
The Nokia E6 has 2.4-inch capacitive touchscreen packs in a Gorilla glass display, just like the Nokia X7, and delivers a stunning 640 by 480-pixel resolution. The display is 4x the clarity (326ppi) of the Nokia E72, so images will be crystal sharp. This makes it the sharpest and most powerful business class device out there. Weighing in at 133g and measuring 115.5 x 59 x 10.5mm, the Nokia E6 is smaller and more compact than the Nokia E7 and its all-in-one design makes it perfect for those stepping up from the Nokia E72. Other features include 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, as well as 8MB of internal memory and a micro SD card that can take up to 32GB cards with ease.
Nokia describes the E6 as having the best out-of-the-box Microsoft messaging experience on any mobile device. The Mail for Exchange software provides a connection to a Microsoft Exchange server for email, calendar appointments, tasks and contacts. Microsoft Mobile Communicator, which has been designed and certified by Microsoft, provides corporate IM and presence and is currently unique to the Symbian platform. Access to Microsoft Sharepoint is provided through a mobile web interface optimised for the Symbian Web browser. Attachments are handled by Quick Office Premium (editing Word, Excel and PowerPoint files) and Pdf. Further enterprise software is available in Ovi Store.
The Symbian Anna software update also brings a range of enterprise enhancements, the most important of which is an additional security policy (one of six new ones) that provides the capability to turn on encryption on the device remotely from the Exchange remote device management software. The encyption/decryption is hardware accelerated, thanks to underlying Symbian enablers.
Nokia E6 Hardware Specs:
- 115.5 x 59 x 10.5 mm in dimensions, 133g in weight; monoblock touch with QWERTY keyboard form factor.
- Glass and metal materials (Gorilla Glass front screen, stainless steel back and bezel, hard plastics for the main keyboard)
- 2.4 inch, TFT LCD touchscreen; 640x 480 pixels resolution (VGA)
- 8 megapixel full focus (EDoF) camera with dual LED flash; video recording at 720p resolution (1280×720) and 25 frames per second.
- Integrated GPS with location support for GPS, A-GPS, WLAN and Cell-ID location techniques.
- 3.5 mm Nokia AV connector for audio in/out and TV-out
- FM Radio (with RDS)
- microUSB (USB 2.0) for file transfers, charging and USB On-the-Go
- BP-4L (1500mAh) battery with easy access battery cover (standby by time of 31 days and talk time of 14.8 hours (GSM) and 7.5 hours (WCDMA). Charging via microUSB port.
- WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100 and GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 (HSDPA Cat 9 – 10.2 MBps, HSUPA Cat 5 – 2.0 Mbps)
- WiFi: WLAN IEEE802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth 3.0
- Processor: Broadcom BCM2727 – ARM 11 at 680MHz with 3D Graphics HW Accelerator with OpenGL-ES 2.0 support (i.e. graphics co-processor).
- 8GB mass memory and microSD card slot (supports sizes upto 32GB)
- 256MB RAM; 1024MB ROM
Nokia E6 Software Specs:
- Runs Symbian Anna (roughly equivalent to Symbian^3 PR 2.0)
- Symbin Anna additions and updates include a fresh icon set, improved text input usability (portrait QWERTY and split screen text entry), an easier to use and faster browser, the latest version of Ovi Maps (3.6 – improved search and public transport on maps), improved enterprise security features and messaging, and the latest version of Qt.
- Multi-page homescreen with fully customisable widgets (five pages, three widgets per page). Extra pages have been included to allow for additional widgets to be used.
- Symbian^3 improvements over S60 5th Edition (Symbian^1) include the renewed music experience (e.g. coverflow albums), the visual task switcher (see contents of application from the task switcher), a more streamlined menu structure with fewer prompts (e.g. no connectivity prompts), a single tap ‘Direct UI’ paradigm (compared to the ‘double tap’ Symbian^1), memory and battery effiency improvements (e.g. writeable demand paging).
- Ships with Ovi Maps 3.6 (free lifetime car and pedestrian navigation).
- Mail for Exchange with enforced encryption and certificate based authentication. Six new Exchange security policies supported in Symbian Anna, including capability to turn on encryption of the device remotely (encyption is hardware accelerated).
- Microsoft Communicator Mobile, which has been developed and certified by Microsoft. Microsoft Sharepoint accessible by mobile website optimised for Symbian Web.
- Support for business grade security solutions such as device lock and wipe, secure intranet access and device management, Cisco SSL VPN support and rich IPSec VPN compatibility.
- Pre-installed third party applications include JoikuSpot Premium, World Traveler, Quickoffice Premium (editing version) and F-Secure Mobile Security.
The Nokia E6 is Initially available in three colours: White, Silver and Black and the box will contain: Nokia E6-00, Nokia Battery BP-4L battery, Nokia Connectivity Cable CA-179, Nokia Stereo Headset WH-207, Nokia High Efficiency Charger AC-15
Check out the Nokia E6 Intro video,