Acer Iconia Tab A500 Android 3.1 Honeycomb Update coming on July 5
Announcing software updates by Facebook seems to be the way to do things these days; Motorola did it yesterday with the Defy, and now Acer are getting in on the action, announcing that Android 3.1 will be coming to the Iconia Tab A500 on July 5th. Android 3.1 update will be available Over-The-Air and you will get a notification as soon as the update arrives. Overall the whole process should be painless.
There is no confirmation on other markets, but it should not take more than another couple of weeks.
The announcement was made via Acer’s German Facebook page, and if you excuse our rough Deutsch, we’ll translate it for you:
“Dear Iconia Tab A500 owners, we are pleased to announce that the eagerly-awaited update is imminent – Android Honeycomb 3.1! The update cycle will begin on 5 July and work via OTA (over the air), and will automatically appear on your A500. Thanks for your patience! Your Acer Germany Team”
When the Android 3.1 version of Honeycomb was unveiled by Google about two months ago the major promise was increased system performance. Reviews of Android 3.0 tablets after the Android 3.1 update have shown that promise was fulfilled. The update as rolled out to a few devices so far, Motorola’s XOOM 3G was first but ASUS and others soon followed.
Some highlighted features new for Android 3.1 Honeycomb excluding system performance increases are available below.
- Expanded Recent Apps list – The multi-tasking feature built-in with Honeycomb has been improved so that it can hold more application thumbnails.
- Resizable Home screen widgets – The ability to change the physical size of all your homepage widgets will be available to you.
- Support for external keyboards and pointing devices – You’ll be able to use a USB or Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with your tablet.
- Support for joysticks and gamepads – You’ll be able to use your USB connectable gamepads, like the XBOX 360 or PlayStation 3 controllers.
- Updated set of standard apps – The Browser, Calendar, Contacts, Email, and Gallery native applications have either been improved with new features and/or UI optimizations.
As Acer has said in their Facebook post, the update is over-the-air and you should get an automatic message notifying when it’s ready. Provided you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network, hit update and enjoy Honeycomb 3.1.