iPhoneIslam “PhoneItiPad” converts 3G iPad into Mobile Phone that can Make Calls and Send SMS
There’s always been an argument that the 3G-equipped iPads are just 9.7? iPhones without a calling plan. While VoIP apps, such as Skype, can indeed turn iPads into a phone of sorts, there’s never been a way to make proper cellular calls using Apple’s tablets. Until now. The developers at iPhoneIslam have been able to create a jailbreak tweak which transforms the iPad into an iPhone. The 3G iPad now allows incoming and outgoing phone calls and SMS thanks to their new Cydia application called PhoneItiPad.
Based on the demo video below, it looks like the app simply provides an iPad with the standard Messages and Phone apps which are on each and every iPhone. Now, while this sounds pretty darn great initially, we can’t really imagine that it would be all that useful in practice.
What You Need:
- A jailbroken iPad 3G running iOS 4.3.3.
- A connected SIM card from your local provider, which is normally used for 3G internet.
Step by Step Guide to Purchase and Install it on you iPad 3G:
- First you must locate your iPad’s Serial Number by going on Settings > General > About and writing it down on paper. You will need it in the next step while purchasing and activating.
- Then Purchase your license which costs $19.99 from iPhoneIslam and activate it by entering your serial number when asked to.
- Now go on your iPad, open Cydia and click on Manage tab at the bottom. Then click on sources and add this source: apps.iphoneislam.com.
- Now open that source added , and install PhoneItiPad.
- Once finished go on your homescreen and you will see the messaging and call app on your iPad 3G.
The app requires you have a jailbroken iPad 1 running iOS 4.3.3. iOS 5 beta is still not supported. Nor is the iPad 2 due to the lack of a jailbreak till now.
If the name iPhoneIslam sounds familiar to you it might be because these are the same folks who brought us FaceIt3GS which was a similar Cydia application that enabled FaceTime on the iPhone 3GS.
PhoneItiPad is priced at $19.99 and you can purchase it from your web browser itself instead of the Cydia store where you usually purchase jailbreak apps and themes.
Head over to iphoneislam.com/phoneitipad/ and click on the yellow button which read “Active your copy now”. You will be then led to a payment page where you’ll have to enter your billing information and iPad’s serial number. All popular payment methods like Visa, mastercard and paypal are available.
After the purchase, add the iPhoneIslam repo in Cydia. The repo URL is http://apps.iphoneislam.com and then tap on the repo to find the app.
You should now be able to use your iPad as an iPhone only with a much larger screen. Your experience will be something like this demo video created by the developers.