Samsung Series 5 Release date for Europe confirmed as June 24; Priced 399 Euros
Samsung’s first Chrome OS laptops, otherwise known as Chromebooks to cloud computing fans, are getting ready to hit European markets as well. The Series 5 laptops have already been shipping to U.S. customers for a few days now and it’s time for other markets to wet their feet into some Chrome OS computing experience. Samsung and Google are to officially launch the world’s first commercially available Chromebook in the UK this Friday, June 24th, with the Samsung Series 5 Chromebook to hit online retailers Amazon and PC World.
Available in Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi plus 3G models, the Samsung Series 5 Chromebook will be the first web-optimised notebook to utilize Google’s new Chrome operating system allowing users to run a device solely on the web with all documents and saved content being stored directly to the cloud.
Chromebooks run the Chrome OS in an online-only state. All your data and info is stored securely online, which means that if you are to lose or upgrade them, you don’t lose anything. The fact that there’s very little to load from the machine itself also gifts incredibly quick start up times, but there is a downside: you need to have a web connection at all times to stop the devices from turning into large paperweights.
But let’s look at the full list of specs and features for the Samsung’s Chromebooks, since such details certainly are important when deciding to purchase a new computer, and especially one that’s running a new OS:
- 0.79-inch thin case designed for comfort and mobility
- Full-size Chrome keyboard
- Oversized multi-touch trackpad
- Intel® Dual-core Processor
- 16:10 resolution
- 12.1-inch SuperBright Display – 36% brighter than standard display
- Starts up in less than 10-seconds
- Resumes instantly from standby
- Up to 8.5 hours battery life*
- HD Webcam, built-in digital microphone and stereo speakers
- Two USB ports capable of charging mobile phones and accessories, connecting digital cameras and media storage devices
- Support for removable media cards (SD, SDHC, MMC) for photos, videos, music and documents